The Indian Air Force has grounded the entire fleet of MiG-21 fighter jets. This decision has been taken in view of frequent accidents involving this aircraft. On May 8, a MiG-21 fighter jet crashed in Rajasthan, in which about 3 people died. However, this ban has been imposed temporarily. The Air Force has banned the flight of these aircraft until the investigation of the accident in Rajasthan is completed. According to media reports, there are 3 squadrons of MiG-21 in the Air Force. A squadron consists of about 16 to 18 fighter jets.
Involved in the Indian Airforce for five decades
MiG-21 fighter aircraft have been in service with the Indian Air Force for almost five decades. All these aircraft are being phased out. Officials say all of these will be phased out by early 2025. Once upon a time, this fighter jet was included in the world’s most powerful aircraft. This is such a fighter jet, which has been used by more than 60 countries around the world. Also, it played an important role in the Kargil War. Not only this, it is the same fighter jet, by which Wing Commander Abhinandan grounded Pakistan’s fighter jet.
Also Read:So far 13 Mirages and 11 Sukhoi have crashed, played an important role in Kargil war and surgical strike, know the reason behind the accident
Big accidents of MIG-21 so far
- On 5 January 2021, the MiG fighter jet was the victim of an accident in Suratgarh, Rajasthan. However, the pilot had saved his life in time and managed to eject safely.
- On 17 March 2021, a MiG-21 Bison fighter jet crashed near Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh. The captain of the Indian Air Force lost his life in this accident.
- On May 20, 2021, a similar incident was also seen in Moga, Punjab. The MiG-21 fighter jet had crashed there. In this also the pilot had to lose his life.
- On 25 August 2021, the MiG-21 again fell victim to an accident in Barmer, Rajasthan. In this also the pilot somehow managed to save his life.
- On 25 December 2021, the third fighter jet crashed in Rajasthan itself. In this accident, the pilot could not succeed in saving his life and he lost his life.
- On July 28, 2022, the MiG-21 aircraft fell victim to an accident for the fourth time in Barmer, Rajasthan. Not one, but two pilots had to lose their lives in this accident.
- On 8 May 2023, the fifth incident of MiG-21 aircraft came to light in Hanumangarh, Rajasthan. The pilot’s life was saved in this incident. However, three people were killed at the house where the plane fell.