Pakistan minister plays dirty, says India threatened Sri Lankan cricketers
- 10 top Sri Lankan players pulled out of a Pakistan tour over security concerns
- Pakistan minister Chaudhary Fawad has blamed India for this
- The minister claimed that India threatened Lankan players that they'll be ousted from IPL
A day after 10 top Sri Lankan cricketers pulled out of an upcoming Pakistan tour over security concerns, motormouth Pakistani minister Chaudhary Fawad Hussain has claimed that India had threatened the players, forcing them to take the step.
In a tweet on Tuesday, Pakistan minister for Science and Technology, Fawad Hussain said, "Informed sports commentators told me that India threatened SL players that they ll be ousted from IPL if they don't refuse Pak visit, this is really cheap tactic, jingoism from sports to space is something we must condemn, really cheap on the part of Indian sports authorities (sic)".
10 Sri Lanka players, including the likes of Lasith Malinga and Angelo Mathews, have pulled out of the upcoming tour of Pakistan, citing security fears.
The decision was taken after a meeting organized by Sri Lanka Cricket with players of the national team on Monday, Sri Lanka Cricket said in a statement.
In 2009, a terrorist attack targeted a Sri Lankan cricket team bus in Lahore, in which several players were left injured. Since then, Pakistan has remained isolated as a destination for international cricket.
Following Sri Lankan players pulling out, an official source in the Pakistan Cricket Board had told news agency PTI that Pakistan would accept whatever team the Sri Lankan board sends.