1993 Mumbai serial blasts accused Abu Bakar apprehended in major overseas operation

1993 Mumbai serial blasts accused Abu Bakar apprehended in major overseas operation

HIGHLIGHTS

  • The agencies are in the process of extraditing the two terrorists
  • Firoz reportedly fled to the Middle East after the 1993 blasts
  • Evidence against Firoz includes confessional statements of his co-accused, two approvers, and his own confession

Indian agencies apprehended 1993 Mumbai serial blasts accused Abu Bakar in a major overseas operation on Wednesday (February 13). One of India's most wanted terrorists, Abu Bakar, had attended a training camp at Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK) before executing the attacks, brought RDX (explosives) and conspired with underworld don Dawood Ibrahim at his residence in Dubai.

Abu Bakar is said to be one of the prime conspirators who had been residing in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Pakistan.

Along with Abu Bakar, the investigation agencies have also apprehended another accused, Firoz, in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case.

The police claimed that Firoz made frequent trips between the Middle East and Navi Mumbai.

On his one such trip to Oman on February 3, 2010, the police received a tip-off about his real identity, the then Joint Commissioner of Police, Rakesh Maria, had said at a press conference after the arrest.

According to the evidence, then unemployed Firoz had met Abu Bakar Abdul Gafur Shaikh in 1989. The two are accused of purchasing smuggled goods such as TV sets, refrigerators, VCRs and selling them to shops on Lamington Road, Mumbai.

In his confession, Firoz said that he met Dawood Ibrahim in Karachi in 1996-97 and in 1999. He returned to India in 2005 and assumed a false identity.